Everything Looks Brighter is a 1/2 year old today! We would like to commemorate this occasion and thank you for your support by giving you a list of our 12 favorite songs since the blog started back in November. El Jay and I will both be doing our own list as well as featuring a list from a new member to the ELB team and a list from my girlfriend Brittney! The list is in no particular order but I will be giving some awards like the “Under the Radar Track”, “Most Valuable Track”, “Crowd Pleaser” and “Favorite Remix”. Now let’s get to the list, I’ll start with oldest and make my way to the newest of the tracks.
Mikey’s Favorite Tracks
1. To start my list off I have Alesso’s remix of ‘Titanium’ by David Guetta featuring the vocals of Sia. This was posted very early on in the blog on November 16 to be exact and has been played quite a bit since then! Alesso is one of my favorite producers out there right now and his remixes are really second to none (ie. ‘Heiress of Valentina’, ‘Pressure’ and ‘Alive). I also absolutely love Sia’s vocals who was on another one of my favorite tracks this year (but didn’t quite make my list of 12) Nicky Romero and David Guetta’s ‘Wild One Two’. This track was a no brainer for my list and filled my Alesso requirement.
2. Next up I have Third Party’s remix of ‘Otherside’ by The Red Hot Chili Peppers which was posted in early December. This was a song that ended up getting remixed quite a bit last year by some big names like Benny Benassi and Tim Mason. I first heard Tiesto play the Benny Benassi remix quite a while ago at a show and then ended up hearing him play the Third Party one when I saw him at UMASS and fell in love with it then. It’s funny how I was obsessed with Benassi’s remix first then once Mason’s got released I switched to that but finally in the end it was the Third Party one that was perfect. It’s just that, perfect, this song could not possibly be remixed better than Third Party did it. This one is a favorite of mine to play at parties because everyone gets into it and can sing along. Because of this this track gets the CROWD PLEASER AWARD.
3. This list obviously had to have a track from the Bingo Players, as they are some of my favorite producers, and that track was ‘Mode’. Oddly enough it was originally posted the same day as ‘Otherside’ on December 5.I’m a huge fan of the Bingo Player’s style they make some of the best electro house out there today and ‘Mode’ is some of their best work to date. The vocal version which was called ‘Dont Blame the Party’ just didn’t do it for me, the original mix is perfect. Hearing this played at a show or festival is unbelievable it’s just one of those tracks that gets everyone moving.
4. I love New Years, its pretty much my favorite holiday. What is better than a holiday that encourages you to drink as much as you possibly can and stay up super late then blast champagne all over your house and friends? Yeah, there is nothing better. Unfortunately the hangover can be pretty rough but not this year cause the new year brought us Archie V and Fareoh’s track ’2012′. Originally posted on January 8, it was actually released on New Years. This is one of those tracks I can never get enough of, the piano, synth and bass lines are so good. These two rising stars of EDM have really done it with this one, and there is rumor of a vocal version to come, are you kidding me?
5. ‘This Is So Good’, could Ehrencrona have come up with a better name for this track? Absolutely not, because it literally is so good. It is so good that for a very long time it was thought to be an Avicii track and was tagged as his ‘ID3′ in live videos people were taking of him playing it. Posted on January 8, just like ’2012′ was it certainly helped to make that day a very good one for me. It has a great Avicii flavor to it but also a hint of Alesso in there with the drop off synths which makes for quite a track by Ehrencrona. This is one everyone should have, just so good.
6. In early January, posted January 10, Tristan Garner released his Winter Bootleg Pack. In this pack was ‘Digital Love Callin’ which is my MOST VALUABLE TRACK from this list. It takes the classic Daft Punk song ‘Digital Love’ and pairs it with Sebastian Ingrosso and Alesso’s smash hit ‘Calling’. What a match made in heaven, the two songs could not have mashed together any more perfectly. Trust me I listened to my fair share of Bootlegs and Mash Ups with ‘Calling’ in them and none come even close to this. As much as I love the vocal mix of ‘Calling’ called ‘Lose My Mind’ it just doesn’t match up to this bootleg Tristan Garner created.
7. On February 1 I posted David Jones and Robbie Rivera’s remix of Robbie Rivera’s own track called ‘Roxy’. I think it was overlooked by many people so I’m giving it the award for UNDER THE RADAR TRACK. Hey I’m not blaming you guys for missing it, it doesn’t have any huge names like Guetta, Tiesto or The Swedish House Mafia attached to it or anything. I would probably have missed the track too if this wasn’t my blog. On the other hand this track demands your attention, everyone should download it now because you will fall in love with it like I did. It has a great piano line much like ’2012′ and ‘This Is So Good’ which as you can tell I am a sucker for. Grab it now and know you are no longer missing out.
BONUS: Since this is my blog and therefore I do whatever I want I have a 13th song to add to my list as a little bonus. We will call it the runner up UNDER THE RADAR TRACK because it hasn’t ever even been posted on the blog previously. It is definitely under the radar and deserves to see some love because it has been one of my favorite tracks for quite some time now. It is Rory Gallagher’s track ‘Remember Me’ which features the incredible vocals of Sean Ryan. I originally found it when ATB posted a link to this YouTube video for it made by an awesome channel called Trance Divine. I love some good trance and it doesn’t get better than this. Incredible track with some beautiful vocals/lyrics. “And everyday I wish to be, loved, like you once did, as I hold on desperately, in hopes you’ll just remember me”.
8. Recently Tiesto released Volume 2 of his Club Life mix albums this one was dedicated to Miami. My next pick was featured on that album, it’s John Dahlback’s ‘Life’. It got posted on April 5 but was released before than and I just forgot to post it. I mean being on the Club Life mix album says a lot for it already but maybe not enough, this track is enormous. The buildup is perfect especially for a festival then it just drops into some spine tingling uplifting synths that will get you dancing and put a smile on your face. The name is so perfect too, Dahlback must have made it and been like “Damn this is my life”. I would take it as the soundtrack to my life any day.
9. This was posted on April 5 also in the same post as ‘Life’ and like ‘Life’ it was released before then I just hadn’t posted it. RoodMusic came out of nowhere and dropped ‘Cool’ an absolutely massive track. When I first heard this song I was blown away and immediately wondered how I had never heard of RoodMusic before. In many ways it reminds me a lot of Tim Mason’s ‘The Moment’, I think mostly just because of how it sounds on good speakers. Dropping ‘Cool’ when you are DJing is way to much fun, no one can resist dancing to that drop its just too good not to. Love the cool sample and the bring that beat back sample too. This is one that everyone I show to loves.
10. Porter Robinson, what a guy, literally taking the EDM scene by storm and he hasn’t even turned 20 yet. His latest track, ‘Language’ which was posted April 12, pushed the envelope even further as he dives into progressive house with this track. You can tell Porter’s style is changing and he is growing as a producer and I love what I am hearing. At three minutes in when the those vocals come in, my ears melted the first time I heard that. Literally too good, you gotta think the older EDM producers are like “Goddamn kid”. I am so excited for what Porter has in store for us next because he is obviously only getting better.
11. It’s no secret Tiesto is my favorite DJ/Producer out there and I have another track off Club Life Volume 2:Miami. Tiesto teamed up with fellow Dutchman and friend Hardwell for this remix. Their remix of The Naked & Famous’s track ‘Young Bloods’ was posted on April 21 and was an easy pick for my list. I was excited these two decided to team up again because I love ‘Zero 76′ so much and had a lot of faith in them to make another great track. Well they certainly proved that because this is an absolutely incredible remix. I love when producers remix alternative poppy type bands like The Naked & Famous those type of songs just remix so well. I am giving this one my award for FAVORITE REMIX.
12. My final track for the list was one that I patiently (well not really) waited for a very long time and was finally released just in time for this list. I am talking about Avicii’s ‘Silhouettes’ which was finally released and posted on April 29. Salem Al Fakir lends his great voice to Avicii for the track’s vocals. I feel the need to stress again just how long I have been waiting for a legit release of this song and I know El Jay felt the same way. He has been playing this one for so long live and so many live rips and crappy quality versions were floating around for so long. My list needed some Avicii and this was the perfect track for him to make an appearance with. Just classic Avicii here, absolutely incredible.
To supplement my list I asked my lovely girlfriend who is a regular visitor of Everything Looks Brighter and also has an incredibly good taste in music to do her own list of her 12 favorites since the blog started. She put together a great list which has a few songs that were on my list as well as some others that were candidates to make my list. I had her give the same awards I did for my list and they are listed from oldest to newest like I did for mine. I wrote a little about each song for her as well.
Brittney’s Favorite Tracks
1. This track was actually released before our blog existed and was posted in one of our Best of The Year lists for 2011 on December 27. That being said when I saw Brittney had chosen it for her list I had to allow it. The track in question is Goodwill & Hook N Sling’s ‘Take You Higher’ and technically she found this track from our blog which is exactly the point of these lists. This track was definitely one of the best of last year and you can listen to it over and over again. Super catchy lyrics and a drop that makes you wanna dance outside.
2. Tiesto’s remix of Coldplay’s hit song of last year ‘Paradise’ is Brittney’s next pick and was very close to making it onto my list but I decided to choose ‘Young Bloods’ instead. This remix was originally posted in our Best of November remix list on December 1. She has even given it her award for FAVORITE REMIX. I am a big supporter of that choice I think this is definitely one of the best remixes we have seen posted on the blog. What a surprise Tiesto gets the favorite remix award from both Brittney and myself.
3. Brittney, like myself, is a huge Bingo Players fan and has chosen their track ‘Mode’ for her list as I did for mine. Originally posted on December 5 and also was posted in the Bingo Player’s Featured Friday. As you can imagine we jam out to this one on the regular together.
4. Here is another that was very close to making my own list, Ken Loi’s Bootup called ‘Wonderwall 2Night’. This was first posted, like ‘Mode’, on December 5. Here Ken takes Oasis’s classic ‘Wonderwall’ and pins it up against Pryda’s ’2Night’. ‘Wonderwall 2Night’ is Brittney’s choice for the CROWD PLEASER award, a great choice since this is definitely one people get into.
5. One of the most anticipated tracks from last year was Brittney’s next choice, Afrojack & Shermanology’s ‘Can’t Stop Me’. This was originally posted on the blog in our Best of 2011 list on December 31. This track was also remixed by Tiesto for his Club Life Volume 2: Miami mix album. I first heard this track when Afrojack played it to close out his set at UMASS and quickly showed it to Brittney and we both knew it was gonna be a good one.
6. This track was also first posted in one of our Best Of lists, this time on January 7 in our Best of December list. ‘Keep It Coming’ is a collab between the Starkillers and Nadia Ali which some people may have overlooked which is why Brittney gave it her award for UNDER THE RADAR TRACK. I will admit even I missed this track at first because it was posted by El Jay but thankfully Brittney help me discover it.
7. Another one here that was extremely close to cracking my list and one of my favorite songs of the year so far, ‘Wild One Two’. The collab between Nicky Romero, David Guetta, Sia and Jackback was originally posted on ELB February 15 and was an obvious choice for our Best of February list. This track was super highly anticipated and a favorite of Brittney’s and myself as well. We both can’t get enough of that sample and Sia’s voice.
8. This next track is one that I don’t think got as much attention as it deserved either when it was originally posted on February 7. EDX teamed up with Nadia Ali for this track called ‘This Is Your Life’. Just like ‘Keep It Coming’ and all tracks with Nadia Ali, the vocals are perfect. Like Brittney I am a big fan of this one so it was an easy pick for our Best of February list.
9. This next remix by Mikael Weermets and Smiley Fac3 of Nari & Milani’s track ‘Love Will Conquer All’ first made its debut on ELB on March 22. It went on to be featured in our Best of March: Remixes and Edits list and now Brittney has chosen it not only for her favorites but she is giving it her award for MOST VALUABLE TRACK! Weermets and Smiley Fac3 give this track a beautiful uplifting synth drop to go with its amazing vocals to create an absolutely incredible track.
10. Brittney chose a track that originally debuted on ELB on April 5 for her next pick and also was featured on my favorite tracks list above. Making it’s second appearance in this post here is John Dahlback’s incredible track ‘Life’.
11. Just as on my list these two appear back to back because this was also posted on April 5. Just like me Brittney can’t get enough of RoodMusic’s ‘Cool’.
12. With her final pick Brittney went with a track featured on Tiesto’s Club Life Volume 2:Miami which was originally posted on ELB April 26. What can I say we both love Tiesto and like Brittney I am also a huge fan of Sultan & Ned Shepard’s track ‘Walls’. The track features some great vocals from Quilla and some incredible uplifiting synths to create one very beautiful song. It’s also a great song to close our her list with!
Thanks so much for all the support for the half year ELB has existed, we hope you enjoyed the lists!
Mikey & Brittney